What Is the WhatsApp Green Tick and How to Get One?
September 29, 2022
Table of contents
Let’s start this article with a simple test. Go ahead and open Twitter. Type a celebrity’s name, let’s say “Elon Musk”. How many profiles did the search query show? The last time I checked there were too many to count. If you had to choose only one, is there a way to determine which one is the real deal? Easy! Follow the one with a blue check mark next to their name.
The same applies to your brand on WhatsApp. Getting that shiny green badge will give your customers a sense of legitimacy, importance, and value.
Benefits of a WhatsApp green tick
The green tick guarantees your brand’s trustworthiness and sends a positive signal to your customers that they can interact with your business without the risk of being scammed. That being said, note that getting a green tick on WhatsApp is free, but beyond difficult, and the majority of WhatsApp Business Accounts are never able to acquire it.
This shouldn’t discourage you, as the success of your business depends much more on building customer relationships, marketing strategy, and the ability to close the deals than it does on having a green badge next to your display name.
However, if you can get your WhatsApp Business Account verified, it will help you:
- Minimize the risk of being blocked by your customers
- Increase the read rate of your messages, resulting in higher ROI on your messaging costs
What is important to know?
The green tick or the green badge that appears next to the name in the account profile is only available for brands using WhatsApp Business Platform/API. It’s a sign of an official and therefore verified business account.
If you are using WhatsApp Business Platform/API, that doesn’t automatically mean that the green tick will appear next to the name of your account on WhatsApp. For that, you’ll first need to apply for WhatsApp Business Verification. In the past, all WhatsApp Business Platform/API accounts had to be verified before they could be created. That’s not the case anymore. Now, business verification is just one of the prerequisites for getting a green tick.
As I mentioned above, getting verified on WhatsApp is not an easy task. Most businesses will never be able to acquire a green tick. However, that doesn’t keep them from being successful and profitable by taking advantage of working with WhatsApp Business Platform/API. Most of our clients don’t have the badge and are still able to make killer sales using our WhatsApp communication platform. It’s just that extra touch of credibility that can help you go above and beyond.
How to apply for WhatsApp green tick verification?
Before you start the application process, make sure your Facebook Business Manager is verified by Meta. If that’s not the case, now it’s time to get it done.
- Go to Security Centre in Business Manager
- Click Start verification.
- Enter your business details and click Next.
- Select the correct business from the list or select “None of these match” if you can’t see your business on the list.
- Confirm your business details.
- Choose to receive a verification code on your business phone number via a text message or phone, or email.
- Enter your verification code (not applicable if you use domain verification).
- Click Submit.
If you receive confirmation that your business is verified, you can reach out to your Business Solution Provider (BSP) to activate 2-Step Verification, and apply for a green tick.
This is a short list of eligibility criteria to get n green tick on WhatsApp:
- Must be using WhatsApp API Approved Business Account
- Must enable 2-Step Authentication
- Facebook Business Manager account must be verified by Facebook
- Must be a business (Individuals are not allowed as of now)
- Recommended you are in Tier 2 or above messaging level
- Must be a notable business
To receive the WhatsApp Official Business Account status, your business needs to reach several notability requirements claimed by Meta. Notability is not the same as Business Verification which only verifies and confirms that your business is a legal entity.
To fulfill the notability requirements, your business has to represent a well-known brand, regularly present in online articles from news outlets and media with large audiences. This doesn’t include paid promotions as a source for review.
If you change the Display name of your business account after you received the Official Business Status, you’ll have to go through the same process all over again. Having your business verified once, doesn’t mean that you will receive verification again.
This is why Official Business Account applications rarely get approved and if your request is denied, that decision can’t be appealed. You can continue to grow your online presence to get eligible for verification. After 30 days you can submit a new request, however, I recommend waiting 90 days before applying again, so that you have the time to improve your chances for verification.
Applying by yourself
You can apply to get your Official WhatsApp Business Account in your Profile section on WhatsApp Manager.
- Go to Phone numbers > Settings.
- Click on Submit Request Button.
- Fill out the required information.
Choose and submit up to 5 supporting links to show that your business is notable.
Tips and tricks to increase the chances to get a green tick
- Have 3 to 5 PR articles about your company in publications with sizable audiences
- Be at least on Tier 2 messaging level
- Have a detailed Wikipedia article on your business
- 10k or more likes/followers on Facebook and Instagram can get you closer to verification
- Make sure your business is not in violation of WhatsApp’s policies, especially WhatsApp’s Commerce Policy